Food cluster of excellence
It is not a coincidence that Espina thrived in a highly specialized environment in the production and commercialization of pork meat.
We have, every day and a few minutes from the company, important markets with an extraordinary offer of the main pig breeds in Europe.
If we work with leading technology, why are we still so traditional?
Whenever we present ourselves in markets, we do so with the pride of representing 4 generations of great butchers who have never stopped improving.
Our tradition has given us arguments of knowledge to continue creating and imagining, impelling us to continue investing in the best technologies with which to perfect this legacy.
Today Embotits Espina has professionals trained in leading technology to pamper this tradition and update it at the service of a modern delicatessen, allergen-free, reduced in salt, reduced in fat and every day seeks to meet the healthiest nutritional parameters that are necessary in today's society.
Food cluster: Innovative technology and proximity to the best raw materials
- FARMING: 793 PIG FARMS
- PIG HERD: 1.000.000 PIGS
- GENETIC ENGINEERING: 6
- SLAUGHTERHOUSES: 17
- TRANSFORMATIONAL INDUSTRIES: 26
- ADDITIVE MANUFACTURATING INDUSTRIES: 4
- ENGINEERING SPECIALISING IN THE MEAT PROCESSING: 7
- MEAT PROCESSING EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURERS: 11
WELFARE IS AN ETHICS ISSUE AND AN OVERALL HEALTH CONCERN
Animal welfare: As an advanced society that we aim to be, we have a pending issue with the regulation of the rights of the animals we raise to feed ourselves.
Historically, the intensive pig farming has been the full representation of its name. Social sensitivity has compelled European legislators to establish a minimum standard regulating all the industrial livestock farming processes oriented to marketing meat for human consumption.
In case of the swine sector (white pig - Landrance, Large White, Duroc...) a list of minimum conditions has been outlined - plus one of optimal conditions to be respected in the medium term- to which all farms and slaughterhouses will have to adapt by law.
The basic points on the issue of welfare define several stages of the average animal lifespan:
- Animal weight/ m2 minimum floor space to have free movement
- Permanent access to materials allowing activities inherent to the porcine species: digging in the ground, peat, hay or sawdust. Material for the construction of beds to rest and/or nests to sleep.
- Habitat diversity with changes in temperature, light and soils.
- Control over unjustified administration of antibiotics.
- Food quality and supply.
- Respect the 25-35 days of lactation.
- Respect the animal's bodily integrity.
- The systematic surgical castration or docking of the tail of piglets is forbidden.
- Regulation of the occupancy density in road transport, breaks and cooling or heating during the journey.
- Maximum transportation time: 8h.
- Proper watering and access to drinks of water after 4 hours of road transport.
- Limit the waiting time in slaughter line.
- Quiet sacrifice, no noise, no stress.
- Effectiveness of carbon dioxide anaesthesia prior to slaughter using electrical stunning.
- To incorporate recording systems in order to guarantee compliance with the rules for the whole process of slaughter.